Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A call for (superficial) scanlation reform

 I have absolutely no idea if this is a common sentiment at all...

But I really don't like the fonts that all scanlation groups use. I'm guessing it's a relic of old American comic book typefaces, but in my opinion, it looks goofy and unprofessional. I don't even know if they're all the same font, but they all look very similar. What's wrong with good old times new roman or even calibri? The fonts used currently make shoujo titles look silly and girly, and shounen titles look dated and ridiculous. Somehow, don't ask me how, the font seems to exaggerate the stereotypes.

Considering in Japanese manga, the font is quite standard (it's no different than any other kind of publication), I don't see why when the mangas are translated into English, they have to take on such childish fonts. Why also, are all scanlation groups adopting the same style as if they didn't have a choice? Anybody out there who feels the same way I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment